Tuesday, November 1, 2011

costumes

The kids started talking about what they wanted to be for Halloween back in November of 2010.  I put a stop to that and told them I was not discussing Halloween until late September 2011.  And really I put it off until about Oct. 25th.

We had some costumes around that I knew would be easy (my theme for Halloween!)  Ella actually went thru multiple costume changes.  We started on Saturday for the ward trunk or treat as the lion (a old costume from when Matt was 4.)  For trick or treating around town Monday afternoon she was a pumpkin (another easy costume from year's past) and Monday night for neighborhood trick or treating we put on one of my skirts that we puffed out with her tutu underneath. Then we added a fancy old fashioned hat and gloves. We put that whole costume together in about 5 minutes as we were leaving to head out the door.  I wish we had slowed down enough to take a picture!  Oh well we did get some great lion shots! Roar!
 Matt had planned on being a mummy and I thought this would be pretty easy as we had a white sheet from a ghost costume a few years ago that we could just rip up and wrap around him.  Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.  It was not.  I could not get the strips of fabric to stay in place even with him walking across the dining room so I knew that after a night of trick or treating we would be leaving trails of white fabric across the neighborhood.  Time for plan B:  lego man. This was truly easy - a nice box, a few plastic cups, a little hot glue and some spray paint.  He loved it, we loved it, everyone we saw loved it.  The perfect costume for our boy.
 Some friends gave us this costume that we used for Grace.  A cute kitty.  But really it was a bit big on her so she ended up kind of looking like just a big furball.
 The cat face hood just kept falling in her eyes so we spent most of the time with it off.  So then no one had any idea what she was, besides a cute furball.  My favorite guesses were  Sully from Monsters, Inc., a beaver, and a sasquatch aka big foot.

After the trunk or treating on Saturday and afternoon trick or treating on Monday I was tired of caring around the big fur ball so we swapped her costume out for a Care Bear (another easy one we had lying around.) Alas we were too busy to get a picture of that either.

She was adorable whatever she was and totally got the hang of trick or treating.  I think she got the most candy simply because she was so fuzzy and cute!

No comments: