Matt had his first pinewood derby last night. This has been a much anticipated event. And it was a terrific night with all the scouts and their families. We all had a great time.
Matt has been working hard on his car with his dad. He found the idea for a penguin shaped car and was very excited about creating it as one of his favorite games is Super Tux, kind of like Super Mario only with a penguin instead. And Matt just loves penguins. He was very pleased with how it turned out.

We helped him with cutting and sanding. He did most of the painting and I helped him cut some vinyl for it. It was a lot more work than any of us anticipated, especially getting the weight just right.


This was right before the race as they were waiting for the official weigh in.


And then the big race began, with some very cute spectators too!

This was a classy event with a computerized track and even a disco ball. It really was fun to watch.
Matt's car wasn't the fastest and it wasn't the slowest. I had a lot of fun watching all the boys race their cars. I loved to watch their faces as their cars sped down the track. I was so impressed as they cheered each other on and had such good sportsmanship. A few days before the race Matt and I were talking about whether or not his car might be fast and he said he didn't care, "Mom, it doesn't matter if my car is fast. Every scout is a winner."




In the end Matt got the award for the Best Design. He was truly thrilled as this was the award he wanted the most. We are very proud of Matt for all his hard work and his terrific attitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment