We love birthdays! For the kids it's all about the presents and cake. I love all of that too. And I love watching my children glow in the excitement of their special day. I also love birthdays as a time to remember. To remember all the excitement of their births and how they came to our family. I love telling their stories and maybe someday they will tire of hearing all the details but for now they love to hear how they became a part of our family.
Ella has been anticipating her big day for a long time. I am sure for her it felt like it would never come! But it did and we had a great day with her.

The kids and I have been looking at all sorts of really cool cakes on the computer. Ella was sure that I could make something like that for her. While I do enjoy looking at amazing cakes, I just don't have the time, patience or talent to make them. So my kids will have to settle for what I can do. Ella and I found a website with "easy" kid cake ideas. I only found about 3 of the 60 shown that I figured I could handle and eventually talked Ella into a butterfly. She had fun helping me make it and we both loved how it turned out.

Since we did a treasure hunt for Matt's birthday we of course had to have one for Ella too. That and I kind of like writing goofy clues that rhyme:
Today is Ella's birthday
So for treasure we will look
Start by looking on the shelves
That hold all of our booksWe all had fun reading clues and helping her hunt them down. In the end we had all her presents piled up in a big basket that we hid in the dryer.





Four year old birthdays are awesome because you could wrap up old socks and they would be excited about opening them. In fact I had bought Ella some new clothes for fall the day before her birthday while she was with me and she was not thrilled at all about my choices (she had other clothing options in mind that just didn't work for fall - like fairy wings and swimusits). I decided to wrap them up anyway just to have more stuff to open. As she opened these up she was so excited you would have thought that every outfit was one she had dreamed of for years.
We had lots of fun sharing in her delight at every gift she opened!



And then of course we got to have cake, glorious cake. Made even sweeter when shared with all of us!


Happy fourth birthday my sweet, sweet girl. We love you so very, very much!
1 comment:
Happy Birthday to Ella! You did an amazing job on the cake, it is sooo cute.
Post a Comment