Having a school aged child has its moments.
We have had several this year.
Many that I would rather forget.
A few that make me smile.
Yesterday while helping Matt with homework I found a test in his backpack that he had taken a few days ago. He had missed one of the questions and I was curious if he really did know the answer and just wasn't sure how to write out the response. This is often the case as most things that involve handwriting frequently devolve to fits of yelling and tears - hopefully just at home and not at school too.
At any rate I re-asked him the question to see if he knew the answer and he responded in the fit of rage that is typical for most homework sessions. "I don't know the answer! That question is too hard! How can they expect a seven year old to know that answer. I think the only one who knows that answer is God!"
Later after a few good chuckles (held under my breath so as not to further enrage the boy) he calmed down and we finished up the homework.
Then with a shy little smile he confidentially told me, "Alexis has a crush on me."
Oh, the school day crushes . . . I remember my first crush. It was in second grade too. And I remember spelling his name out in the snow, B R E T T.
I asked Matt, "Does that make you happy that she has a crush on you or does that bother you?"
A pause and then with that cute little smile again he quietly said "The first thing you said."
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
This post took me back to my first crush and I'm giggling. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment