Saturday, March 19, 2011

happy st. patrick's day

I like celebrating holidays. Besides Christmas I don't really enjoy decorating for any of them. But I do like doing something to make the day standout, something for all of us to look forward to and enjoy memories from.

For St. Patrick's Day I decided to make a green dinner. I don't like the idea of turning things green with food dye - that just isn't appealing. Who wants to eat green mashed potatoes? So we had things that are already green: cream of broccoli soup, pistachio salad, and grilled cheese sandwhiches (not green.) I had planned on a green leafy salad and some green punch but somehow those never materialized. It was a busy night.
It was still a nice dinner besides the lack of green punch, and seemed to be enjoyed by all.
After dinner Ella and I raced off to Kindergarten Readiness night. I had wanted to do a treasure hunt for Leprechaun gold but I hadn't had time to do anything about it. As I raced out the door I asked Steven to get creative while we were gone. A look of complete panic came across his face. Having fun with the holidays is really my thing and he just tags along for the ride. Luckily Matt was standing there too and he was thrilled to come up with the hunt on his own.

When we were nearly home from the KG night we called and Matt let us know our first clue was on the door!

He did such a great job. Hiding clues he came up with and wrote all by himself all over the house.

We ended in the office with a sweet trail to our pot of gold.

I particularly like the little man Matt drew along with each clue.

We wrapped up our day of green fun with everyone enjoying a little gold and watching the Veggie Tales St. Patrick's short that tells the true (I think?) story of St. Patrick himself. I do have to give Steven points because this was his idea and he executed it all on his own. Then we read a little Leprechaun tale and I put my little people to bed.

No comments: