Thursday, October 15, 2009

sugar beet, you're so sweet

October means sugar beet harvest time. Everyday we pass truck after truck full of those giant beets. Whenever we see one we sing:

Sugar beet, sugar beet
Your so sweet
Let's turn you into sugar
So we can make some treats!

We see lots of beets on the side of the road that have fallen off the trucks and the kids have begged for 3 years now to stop and pick some up. I have never felt compelled to stop the car on a busy road and pick up a big old dirty beet that I can do nothing with. However Steve is often kinder than me. He gave in to the relentless begging and picked up not only one but two, one for Matt and one for Ella.

They were thrilled. Ella ran around shouting "Hurray! we can make some treats now!" I am not sure how those beets are processed and turned into sugar but I am pretty sure I can't replicate that in my kitchen. So we did the next best thing. We gave each kid their own giant beet to love and hold and then cut off a little nibble to try.

I think I can safely say that they won't be asking to pick up beets next year!

No comments: