Friday, October 10, 2008

my new toy

I have been wanting a DSLR camera for quite a while - but since they run around 1K I just didn't see it happening for a long, long, while. After taking pictures with my friend's awesome DSLR I really, really wanted one. But again the money factor got in the way.

Then one day in the shower I was struck with inspiration - that happens a lot th
ere. My little sister is getting married in a few months. She has been pricing photographers and they run anywhere from $600 - $2000. And so my mind began working - why should mom and dad pay a photographer when they could take that money and buy me a camera and then I could take the pictures.

I really think that I can do a good job for her too. And I can take all the pictures: engagement, bridal, temple, reception, etc. Plus have a really wonderful camera for family photos, new babies, etc. Whatever might come up in the family. So I called mom and dad - they loved the idea and then I called Karee and she loved the idea and then before I knew it I had a box on my doorstep with my camera!
I have had it for about two weeks now and have a blast playing with it. My kids are already tired of posing for me! I am having fun figuring out all the cool things it can do and trying to take better pictures. What I really hope to do is turn this whole photography thing into a business. In fact that's already starting to happen...

Here's a few fun pictures with me trying different things.

Here's Matt and I playing with some action shots - He loved helping me with this one
.This is playing with depth of field. I love that Matt's feet are in focus and the rest of the shot is blurred.And here of some of Matt and Ella - I'm just trying to figure out lighting and different settings on the camera.
I love this camera! I can't wait till Karee comes and we get to take her bridal shots! And what I am really excited about is that I get to be one of those cool people in the park with the giant camera hanging off my neck.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ohhh! I am so jelous! I'm sure you will take some amazing pictures with that new toy!
Have fun and can't wait to see the wedding pictures. I love looking at those types of shots!

Tiffany said...

That looks so fun! I really liked the picture of Matt's feet.