Monday, December 20, 2010

christmas is coming to town

I love this time of year. The excitement, the preparation, the music, the food, the anticipation. It is magical and wonderful for so many reasons.

We started the season off by getting our lights up early this year. About a week before Thanksgiving I noticed that the weather forecast was nice for that day, Thursday, but the rest of the days afterwards were horribly cold and snowy. I decided I better get the lights up myself that afternoon or they wouldn't get hung at all. So I put Grace down for a nap, Ella positioned in front of a movie and I got on the roof and got those lights hung all by myself. I had to call my Dad for a few electrical questions but the rest was all me. I was pretty proud of myself!

The week after Thanksgiving we took the kids to a nighttime Christmas light parade. It was great fun, lots of floats all lit up and festive. We had a super time. This is an event we will definitely make a tradition.

We also got brave and took all of us to the church for the Christmas devotional. The kids were not exactly quiet but we tried and we should get points for attempting to take our kids to something reverent at Christmas. We did all enjoyed the music and the talks - what we heard of them!

The next week we took the kids on a "Walk to Bethlehem." One of the stakes in the area put on this event. It was held in the field behind the church, with little stations for the gates of Bethlehem (with a real live camel - wow!), the shepherds, the angels, the stable with Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus, etc. I thought it was really beautiful. I think it gave the kids a better understanding of the Nativity story. I love that it was completely Christ centered. Sadly there are so few events that are this time of year. We are trying to make these a priority this year.

Amidst our many Christmas activities I once again overwhelmed myself with projects. I always think that they will be easier than they really are and that I will have them done sooner than is realistically possible.

Here's a quick sample of my project overload this year:

Dress for Ella, re-purposed from an old dress of mineDolls for the girls which took ridiculously long to make but turned out so adorable
Harry Potter wand and case for Matt. I love how the label turned out!Christmas advent calendar Ornament for Gracie's first ChristmasNot pictured: blankets for the girls, pillowcases for all the kids and heated corn bags for the kids.

So all of this in addition to the crazy baking and decorating and Christmas events. Well let's just say life has been busy but Christmas is worth it!

No comments: