Wednesday, July 28, 2010

pioneers, parades, rasberries, and more

We love going to Grandma and Grandpa's house there is so much to do there and so many fun people to hang out with. So we decided we better squeeze a trip in before the summer was over. So in between swim lessons and our next family trip the kids and I took a quick trip across the state.

One of my main objectives in going was to celebrate pioneer day. They do nothing in our area - we're lucky if we even sing Come Come Ye Saints in sacrament meeting. But at grandma's they have a huge parade and then all the stakes in the area converge at the fairgrounds for a day of fun activities and yummy food. All I had to do was mention parade (which to the kids translates as CANDY) and they were sold. We packed up and headed off!

The parade was very fun. I haven't been home in 5 years to see it, so it was nice to be back. I love the floats that all the different wards do. This year's theme was Faith to Conquer Fear and there were so many wonderful floats depicting this. The kids enjoyed it all too and especially loved running after candy - and they got lots.
After the parade we went back to Grandma's to put Grace down for a nap and then Matt and Ella and I went up to the festivities at the fairgrounds. They got to check out an Indian tee pee, pull a handcart, try their hand at lassoing, make a handkerchief doll, shoot bb guns, go to a petting zoo, and lot of other fun activities. Most things were free or a very minimal cost, even the food. We got watermelon, cotton candy and yummy Indian Fry bread. At the end of 4 hours up there I had only spent $5. One of my favorite activities were the Indian bareback horse races. So cool to watch the Native Americans in all their ceremonial headdresses race around the track on those horses.

I am so glad I took the kids to these events and really want to make an effort to come next year too. I want my children to cherish their pioneer heritage. I think events like these create a fun way for them to learn about the pioneers and celebrate what they accomplished.

The rest of our week was spent in a flurry of activities, we hung out with cousins and with my siblings. We did lunch at the park, and family dinners. We had Grandma Henricksen come out for FHE and give a lesson on some of our ancestors and she also told us her stories of growing up in Rigby.

We had a fun night when Jake and Karee brought out their Wii and we all played the dance game...Karee, April and Mel will hate this picture but it is the least dorky one I took.
We hung out in g-ma/pa's beautiful yard
And Grandpa gave the kids rides in the yard cart
Matt loved helping Grandpa with lots of different jobs including working on the playhouse. And before we left to come home the kids helped Grandma pick raspberries. They spent more time getting ready to pick than they spent picking but at least I got some good pictures.

1 comment:

Nancy Niederer said...

I am jealous of your camera...your out door pictures are gorgeous! Glad you had fun back home.