Thursday, May 15, 2008

baby news!

We are so excited....

We have babies coming!


Hurray, hurray, hurray, hurray!

Four of them to be exact - if they all make it.

Just a few more weeks and
they should be here.

Now that I have your attentio
n I guess I should add that they are baby...... BIRDS!

A few weeks ago we discovered a bird in sitting in a patch of rocks right out our front door. Matt soon discovered that she had eggs! She started out with just two eggs but after a few days there were three and now there are four. We have spent a lot of time watching and observing. We spent a good hour online trying to identify what type of bird she was. We have discovered that she is a killdeer - and that killdeer like to lay their eggs in rocks. What I find strange is that almost everyone we point her out to says - "Oh yeah, that's a killdeer." And then they proceed to fill us in on all the interesting facts about these birds that I discovered after hours researching online. Is everyone an ornithologist but me?
At any rate it sure has been fun to watch her sit and protect those eggs. She has sat there through wind and rain and even our sprinklers every morning. She lets us know we are too close by ruffling out her feathers and chirping loudly. And the daddy killdeer is around most days too. Matt is pretty proud that he discovered her and her eggs. I guess I need to research again to see when they might hatch. Hopefully we will get a peek of the little ones before they take off.

No comments: