Monday, December 29, 2008

a flurry of holiday fun

Wow this past month has been busy. Who had time to blog in December? I sure didn't! No time to post - no time for anything - except Christmas preparations and fun. But before the month was completly over I wanted to write down a few memories.

We spent the month decorating, putting up lights, shopping, baking, sewing, cleaning, wrapping, making and sending cards, going to parties, playing in the new snow, taking a few pictures too. Every day was filled and I was exhausted when Christmas came. It was a great Christmas. All the work was worth it. Too watch this wonderful season unfold for my little ones was magical.I think Matt even grasped the "reason of the season" this year. He explained to us on Christmas morning that we celebrate Christmas because Jesus was born and then died so all of us could live again. Pretty amazing comprehension for a 6 year old I think.
Matt is also firm believer in Santa and it was great to see his excitement each day as we worked through the advent calendars and counted down to Christmas. And Santa is a great catalyst for good behavior this time of year too.
Ella loved everything about this holiday. She was sure every song sung by a male voice was Santa singing. Her favorite Christmas song was the Little Drummer boy - or as she calls it 'Pum Pa Pum Pum.' If it came on the radio she would dance with glee but then whine when it was over and a new song came on. She was so excited to see Santa at the mall but when we got there she would only go near enough to grab a candy cane. Later when asked what Santa ate for breakfast or lunch or a snack she would tell you "candy canes!" - of course! She tried to undecorate the trees daily and was unsuccessful in breaking my nativity set (thank goodness).She wanted Polar Express on continuously and some days when there was so much to get done I was happy to let it keep her entertained.

It was a wonderful holiday full of magic and memories and thank goodness we have a whole year to recover and get ready for the next Christmas!

2 comments:

Jennifer Gerritsen said...

You are so talented in so many things! I love your Christmas decorations and pictures! I wished we lived closer and you could take some pictures for us!

Tiffany said...

I think your Christmas tree turned out so beautiful. If I was you I would leave it up until Valentines Day. Ha!