Tuesday, June 15, 2010

youth camp

I had the wonderful opportunity to go to girl's camp this year. Only this year our stake did a combined girls and boys youth camp. As leaders we had lots of concerns about a combined camp and so did most of the parents. But our Stake leaders felt very strongly about what they were doing and put a lot of prayer and planning into the event. And it was fantastic. We had lots of worries about our own group of girls and all of us were amazed at how well everything went. The girls got along great and had super attitudes, testimonies grew, friendships were strengthened. We laughed and cried together and created some beautiful memories. It really was a tremendous experience. I loved being able to spend the entire week there (My mom came to stay with the kids and I think they had as much fun as I did!). I loved getting to know the girls and the other leaders. What a great week it was.

Here are a few of the 17 beautiful girls that were there with us.The majority of time at this camp was spent in spiritual instruction. We spent hours each day sitting like this listening to a variety of speakers. I often worried that it was too much for these teenagers to soak in. But they were quiet, respectful and reverent. Later when they shared testimonies and other thoughts with us I was amazed how much they learned and how the spirit touched them.
We had a bit of free time for play too. One of the big hits for all the kids was this human slingshot. A few of leaders (Jen and I) even got dragged in to play. And I will admit it was pretty fun.I believe there were between 300-400 kids and leaders at the camp and it was great to be part of such a big group of strong youth and leaders. Even meal time which was generally held together went smoothly. Kind of reminded me of the MTC but with much better food!The only downside to the entire week was the weather! It was rainy and COLD for three of the four days. I have never been so cold for so long in my life! My bones just ached with the cold and I didn't get warm until we got home even thought I wore two coats and a blanket most of the time.

Here are the lovely cabins we stayed in. They were only cabins in the loosest sense of the word. Three walls were lined with bunks like this and the fourth wall was the door. Cozy! And of course I ended up on the bottom! But I really can't blame my poor sleep on claustrophobia which I thought for sure would be the case. That had to be blamed again on the blasted COLD. If I am cold I don't sleep and since I was never warm you can guess how much sleep I got. Well and I am sure a cabin of giggly girls up all night didn't help either!But I would give up my sleep and comfort all over again for such a terrific week!

No comments: